Sunday, September 14, 2014

Quilt update and Lederhosen project

I'm a little over half way completed with the quilting on the Black and White quilt.  I put my three layers together (see picture) and I used basting spray.  I like that much better than pins but, it can be a little tricky.  I found that if I baste the back to the batting first then make sure that is smooth prior to adding and basting in the top layer.

I got all the lines, for quilting, traced on using a see though ruler.  My machine has a built in Quilting foot but, on my old machine, I just changed out the foot prior to doing a quilting project.



Layers sandwiched together ready for quilting

I put this project on hold again because my daughter called and said they were going to Oktoberfest and asked my to make a Lederhosen outfit for my baby Grandson.  He is 3 months old.  Since it's a costume, I used felt because I thought it looked closer to the traditional leather material used in Lederhosen.  I put a 2 inch strap which will go from the top of his pants, around his neck and back down again to the pant area.  My daughter will place buttons on the straps once she tries it on him so an exact fit can be obtained.

For the "bib" part, I enjoyed being able to use the decorative stitches from my machine along with bits of ribbons I have.  Since I'm obsessed with ric rac ribbon lately, I had to add some of that.  The bib is sewn to one side of the strap and on the other side is velcro.  I did it that way so it can easily be put on the baby without trying to pull it over his head.

Felt cut for straps and bibs

Ribbons and stiching in place.  I put the back of the bib on after I did the trims and stitching.  My maching kept jamming when I tried to do 2 layers of the felt and the dense stitching but, it worked fine with one layer and rayon thread.

The finished Lederhosen top

This shows how one side has velcro so the baby can be easily dressed
 Now, I can't wait to see him all decked out for Oktoberfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment