Friday, August 15, 2014

I finished up the latest Cone doll.  As mentioned yesterday, I painted the whole thing black first then, I lightly penciled in the witch doll.  I'm not a great painter but I think the thing about the witch cone doll is the hat.  The hat makes the doll cute.  After lightly penciling in my shapes, I filled them in with acrylic paints and did some outlining with black ink.
Doll with painted body and head - the hair comes next
Next is the hair.  For this doll, I decided to do torn, thin pieces of fabric.  They are about 5-6 inches long then folded in half and hot glued above the hat line.


  Gluing on the hair.  Fiber looks cute too

The hat is made in 2 parts.  The cone part is somewhat of a triangle but, as you can see from the edges, in has a curve to it.  I placed it against a ruler so you can get the general size.  I think the key here is to cut it bigger than you need and then make adjustments with your scissors.  Be sure to leave a little overlap so it can be glued closed into a cone shape.

The brim
The brim is cut like a donut and I cut it slightly small.  first I put the cone of the hat in place then I slide the "donut" brim over it.  Since the middle hole is cut slightly small, it makes a tight fit.  By the way, I'm using felt for this which has a little stretch to it and works perfect (plus it's cheap).

Cone witch doll

For the finishing touches, there is ribbon tied around the base of the brim and plastic spiders glued on the hat and body.  I got the spiders at JoAnnes Fabrics.  Maybe I need to buy a plastic cauldron since I now have a cone witch collection.  I can place them all around it.  Halloween is such fun!

Have fun crafting.  If you make one, send me a picture and I'll post it below with your name


No comments:

Post a Comment