Saturday, August 9, 2014

Halloween Coasters

I'm still working on the doll from yesterday's post but, it's taking a long time for the paint to dry for the shoes.  Maybe it's the weather or something.  Rather than just sit and watch paint dry, I switched to another project.  I'm making Halloween coasters.  I finished one so far and will have to do more but, you can see what I'm up to here.

Happy Halloween Coaster
To complete the coaster, I machine embroidered the Happy Halloween saying.  I used one of the free patterns from Embroidery designs.  Here is a link if you want to use the same design

http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/

After the embroidery was completed, I cut a circle around it plus, the same size circle for 2 pieces of batting, 1 piece of backing and 1 piece of flannel backed vinyl (I happened to have some left over vinyl from a baby changing pad project).  The vinyl is optional but I think it would help protect the furniture from a glass with a lot of melting ice.  The circles are all 4 3/4 inches in diameter.  I just rummaged around the kitchen until I found something about the size I wanted.  In this case, it was the top of my flour cannister!   I basted these layers together as follows:

Backing (right side out)
1 layer of batting
1 layer of vinyl
1 layer of batting
Happy Halloween front design, right side out

After the basting, I attached wide ric rac to the front.  On top of the ric rac I put the binding which is cut on the bias and is 1 3/4 inch wide.  When sewing on the binding, I place the seam directly over the middle of the ric rac.  The final step is to flip the binding back and hand sew it down.
Layers ready to sew to assemble

It may seem odd talking about Halloween already but, I like to complete these type of project early so I can enjoy them in plenty of time for sending of using.

No comments:

Post a Comment