Thursday, August 21, 2014

Baby Burp Clothes

Here is a fun small project for that special baby in your life.  You can get 2 baby burp clothes out of 2 quarter yard pieces.  Mine measure about 10 inches by 21 inches.  I just used my ruler and rotary cutting blade and cut two 10 by 21 inch front pieces, 2 back pieces and 2 thin batting pieces.  I like to use flannel on these because they absorb nicely and for the batting, I use 100% cotton.

After I cut my rectangles, I like to round the corners.  I found that an easy way to do this is to take a saucer and put in on the corner, draw a pencil line and cut off the excess.  The picture below shows this.

Once your pieces are cut out, you can put trim on them if you like.  I think ric rac looks nice on baby things so, I basted that in place.  This is extra wide ric rac.  Once the trim is in place, place the right sides together (one of the backing and one of the front).  Put the batting on the wrong side.

Now that your sandwich is in place, sew around the edges about 1/4 of an inch.  If you are using the ric rac, you want the seam to run up the center of the trim.  Leave a small area open for turning.

Turn the material, iron, sew opening closed and finish off with quilting.  I used free motion quilting on this sample.  I've also done others where I did decorative stitching around the edge and that looks nice also.

If you don't like to do free motion, you can pencil in straight lines and quilts in rows, diamonds, or whatever you like.

Rounding the corners, please note the glass saucer for the template

Basting on the trim

Finished project

No comments:

Post a Comment