Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Backing

I sewed the backing for the green quilt today.  It's not a very exciting step but, it does not take long.  I got 3 yards for the backing which I cut at 1 1/2 yards and the sewed those together side by side.  I'll be putting together the "sandwich" of the quilt next.

I played around more with the basket pattern I posted on 10/12.  I had cut enough for 3 sizes and have sewn them all together.  Here is what I thought

1)  The first one I made was 11 inches square with ties at 2 1/2 inches.  It's the largest one.  After sewing this one, my personal preference would be for the sides to come up a little taller

2)  The second one sewn is the Halloween pattern at 9 1/2 inches square with ties at 2 3/4 inch.  On the side with the plain orange fabric, I added decorative stitching for a fun element.  I think this size is my favorite

3)  The third one is 10 1/2 square with ties a 3 inches.  I like the taller sides on this one

All three sizes work fine so, it's just a matter of personal preference on how big you want the square and how tall you want the sides.  Here are some pictures if you are thinking about making these

The 3 baskets laying flat.  As you can see, the difference is not dramatic

Decorative stitching added to the Halloween basket.  It's a variegated thread in fall colors

Side view of all three baskets so you can see the height.  Again the difference is small.
The complete instructions to the link for the basket instructions are on my 10/12 blog posting.  It's a fun and quick project.



No comments:

Post a Comment