Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Altered Canvas

I heard a new term this last week which was "Altered Canvas" art.  In researching it, I see that it is interpreted many different ways but, my favorite was using the back side of the canvas instead of the front.  This is what I ended up with:

 Here are the steps that I took to get me started:
Christmas Paper by "Paper Studio", I cut out just the Santa

Coated the whole back, including the wood and staples with Gesso
Covered wood with modeling paste (to even it out and cover the staples)
Using Gel Medium, glued tissue paper music paper

Applied paint using light beige, red, and brown.  After that dried, I sprayed it with a white

Using modeling paste and a snowflake stencil, I applied some texture to the side then, glued down Santa

For the final finish, I used a brown distress pen around Santa to make him pop more from the background.  I used cheese cloth saturated with gel medium placed along the bottom.  While it was still very wet, I sprinkled glass beads onto it.   The "Happy Holidays" is a Tim Holtz embellisment.  I used a stamp for the saying and it is placed on with brads through the back.  The upper portion of the frame is some fiber with plastic "bulbs" for clear Christmas lights and I twisted a shimmering fiber around that and glued it in place along the top.  A picture hanger is nailed onto the back

I'm debating about adding some jingle bells in the upper right hand corner.  I think I may do that.  I also already have some ideas for the next piece!
 

UPDATE:  I decided to add the jingle bells and I think it does add a special touch to the piece and helps to balance out the bright red color of the word "Believe"  Here is an updated picture


No comments:

Post a Comment