Friday, July 18, 2014

Update on the Board Shorts Memory quilt

The quilt continues to progress.  I completed a couple more steps.  I fused each fabric square with a lightweight fusible interfacing.  This gives the squares stability.  I choose to do this because some of the materials have stretch to them, some have bias cuts etc.  Having the interfacing on the fabric, in this quilt, will help with accurate quilting and help minimize any puckering issues later on.  In this series of pictures, you see one of the squares which has bias pieces on them.  I fused the back (middle picture) and you can see in the last shot that the puckering is reduced


hand selfie



After all the squares were fused, I cut the strips for the sashing which goes around each piece.  The sashing measures 1 3/4 inch wide.  I then sewed all of the rows together.  The next step will be to iron the pieces flat and then add the column sashing.  By the next posting, I will have all that done plus, I'll be preshrinking the backing fabric so I can start stacking the layers for quilting.





Yesterday, when I was at the fabric store getting the backing fabric, I got into a conversation with the store clerk about hand dying your own batik fabrics.  She explained a little about the process and the wonderful results you can get at home.  I'm really tempted to try that but, I had to drag myself away because the last thing I need right now is another craft.  Who knows though .... maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment