Saturday, July 12, 2014

Paper Crafting Cigar box with faux leather design

Years ago, my sister Terry taught me how to take a plain brown paper bag and treat it so it looked like leather.  She did a wall in this design and I did a desk top.  It's really cool plus, I love the feel of it.

I ran across a garage sale last weekend and this guy was selling cigar boxes for .25 cents each.  I'm always looking for ways to organize things in my house so, I decided to try the faux leather on a cigar box.

To do this, you crinkle up wads of brown paper and tear them into small pieces (about 1-3 inches). They should be torn randomly in different sizes and shapes.  Then you start gluing them on.  I used decoupage glue.  When all the pieces are in place and dry, you begin to place a stain on it.  I just played around with it using paste type shoe polish and my stamping inks.  Once the color is in place, I sealed it all again using decoupage.  The inside is lined with brown felt.  It's a fun project and a great money saver for storage items if you can get a cigar box.  Actually any type of wooden box would work the same.



I want to find some type of latch for it then, I will call it complete.  I'll probably use it for the bit and pieces I've collected for paper collages.

No comments:

Post a Comment