Tuesday, January 19, 2016


Creating Valentine Background Paper

As you may have noticed from my postings, I often create background using paints, sprays, stencils, modeling paste and stamps.  I think it creates depth and interest to a piece.  I was watching a video by Jill Haglund where she creates a background piece using stamps with various ink.  She refers to it as a masterboard then uses the paper in multiple applications.  I just loved what she did and, I also love her stamps so, I gave it a whirl.  I also pasted the link to her youtube video so you can watch the "How to" on this.

Here is my background:

 The actual piece is larger than this but, I cut it down to use it in an altered canvas Valentines piece.  This is 12 x 12.

Using the back side of a 12 x 12 canvas, I covered the inside and the outer frame with the masterboard paper.  I then laid down a stencil and sprayed it with red ink.  The last step was using a black gelato crayon and coloring the edges then, softening it with a wet finger.

At this point, I have used a Julie Nutting stamp and cut out her clothes in pink printed papers, I applied her to a tag that a heart lace dolly, white torn mulberry paper, red card stock and the bottom layer is black card stock.  She is popped up with pop dots.  Another large lace dolly was cut and applied to the left edge.  In this picture, I'm starting to glue down some ruffled lace that I got at Walmart.

The "Love" word is cardboard that was precut.  I bought it at Michaels craft store.  It's painted red then covered with red glitter.  


The saying is from a paper pack by Recollections (from Michaels store)

Metal heart embellishments

Final picture

As you can see from the final project, a lot of the Masterboard that I originally started with is somewhat covered but, in my next use, you can see it clearly.  Here it's used in cards.




Here is the video on how to make the background paper.  Thanks to Jill for the inspiration:


No comments:

Post a Comment