Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Yupo Paper

I have seen other Artist note that their work was done on Yupo paper and until just recently, I have never heard of it.  It's a 100% synthetic paper that artists mostly use either for watercolors or with alcohol inks.  I decided to give it a try so, I went to my local art store who only carried it in big sheets but the cost was not bad at a little under $5.00 per sheet.

I'm prefer working with watercolor vs alcohol so that's what I concentrated on.  The paper in nonporous so the color floats on the top until it's dry.  While it's wet, you can apply various techniques to it to make the paints swirl or add texture to it.

Here is what I ended up doing with it:




As you can see it still retains the look of watercolor but is another way to work with the paints.  One really nice part about it is if you mess it up, you simply apply water and wipe it off, even after it has dried.  I also used this wipe away technique on the daisies.  Originally the card was all blue but, I wiped about the petals for the flower using a wet brush.  For the stems and leaves, I put a business card into the paint and the ran the edge of the paint on the card.  I also used brushes on the leaves.  It's fun so, if you enjoy watercoloring, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment