Sunday, April 26, 2015

Altered Books

I found a group of old album sets at a garage sale.  The first thing that struck me were the graphics.  I thought they were really cool.  The vinyl albums were either missing, broken or extremely scratched but, I thought the covers were still in good condition for their age.  I'm converting them to art journals and here is the first one:

All four albums that I purchased

This is the one I'm converting first

The inside of the book.  I'm measuring two pieces of paper and one will go in front of the album insert and the other behind it 

Measured sheet on the front

Close up picture.  I cut off the excess bulk of the album insert keeping only the part I need to attach the paper too.  I scored the paper so the book will lie flat when open

Papers were attached using the super sticky red tape
Finished journal with the first page completed.  This is a pen and ink watercolor using a "how to" book by Jane Wunder.
For this album, I decided not to do anything further to the front or inside cover.  I was attracted to it because of the cover so, why change that.  The completed book holds 6 pages so I can do 12 pictures overall using the front and back.  I used watercolor paper for this book.  It was a fun project and I already had the paper so, the total additional cost was $1.00.  What a deal!

One really nice thing about this is that the book already has pieces of chipboard in the spine due to the width of the vinyl albums.  I left that in place which gives me some room if I want to add 3D embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment