Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The before and after!

Finding treasures at garage sales and flea markets is such a fun hunt.  We recently moved a large distance and sold many of our furniture pieces to avoid shipping costs.  Now that I'm settled into a new home, I am enjoying the hunt for "new" things and have the advantage of learning from some of my past furniture find fails.  Here are a couple of things I completed this month:

The first one is an old dresser but, its very shallow and the drawers would hold a very small amount of clothing so, I elected to turn it into a console piece instead.  I have two or three places I could use this and I have not settled on its final spot.  Right now, it's sitting in one of the rooms we need to update and are using as a temporary spot for painting etc.

I started by removing the top four drawers along with the drawer runners plus, all of the drawer knobs.  In the area where the top four drawers were, I used a piece of 3/8 inch furniture grade plywood.  My husband helped cut it to the size I needed.  The whole dresser was sanded, painted, wood filled in some spots and then distressed with sand paper after drying.  New drawer knobs finished it off.  Total cost:  $20.00 for the dresser at a garage sale, $3.49 for 2 new knobs and 21.00 for a sheet of plywood.  I already had the paint so, I don't count that!!

The next project was a shelf unit that someone else used for knick knacks.  This was also a garage sale find at $5.00.  I didn't do to much to this piece except spray paint it, replace one set of hinges and as soon as I find new little door knobs, I will buy those.  Its a little harder to find due to its small size.  Total cost in addition to the 5.00 for the cabinet was 6.99 for spray paint and 3.99 for mini hinges.

I'm always on the hunt !

No comments:

Post a Comment