Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Halloween mixed media picture
"Scary" - Mixed media canvas created by Debbie Granfors

This picture was so much fun to create.  I started by using the reverse side of a canvas picture.  This particular one I bought at 90% off because it had an ugly print of something on the front that nobody wanted.  I simply painted over that with black.  On the reverse side, I started by preparing the surface.  I first put a layer of gesso over the canvas material.  After that dried, I used a modeling paste and applied it around some of the nicks in the frame but mostly to help cover the staples.  Once that was dry I layered the sides of the canvas (on the top, inside and outside) with paints, spray, and stencils until I got an old creepy type finish to them.  I used brown, black, the white of the the modeling paste and some bright green colors.

For the inside, I cut a piece of Halloween scrapbook paper the exact size of the back and used medium gel to apply it to the canvas.  The decorations are bits of paper tidbits I collected, some wide washi tape, a spider sticker and for the main focal point, a skeleton stamped onto some beige print card stock and inked arount the edges.  The finishing touches are done with a banner I made using Halloween card stock cut into a triangle shape, lace ribbon glued to the edges, lettering from Hobby Lobby, and orange yard to string it all together.

On the bottom, I used some straw like material I picked up awhile back at a scrapbook convention.  At the time, I had no idea what I would use it for but for $1.00 I knew it would come in handy someday.  I tore off a piece and sprayed it with brown ink the used hot glue to place it on the canvas.  The skeleton piece at the bottom came from Michaels.   They have a whole collection of cute Halloween minatures.

This is what the "straw" looks like before I applied it.  I think you could also use cheese cloth and that would work well also.
 I hope you enjoyed looking at my Halloween canvas and hope you give this type of mixed media art a try.  Thanks for visiting my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment