Thursday, August 20, 2015

Graphite and Ink

I enjoy looking at all the lovely details of old buildings.  My husband use to take black and white photos of them so, I pulled out one to draw.  This is taken from the street level looking up.  I love the angel.  Since the picture is in black and white, I decided to do the piece in graphite.  I also combined it with pen working using a 005 micron pen.  I enjoyed combining those 2 mediums.  I used my ruler a lot for this one and luckily it is a see through ruler which is the only way to go.  If you try something like this, you will find that much easier to use over a standard wood or metal ruler.

 I used watercolor paper for this piece so, I get grainy type of texture.  I saw another artist who used colored pencils on Strathmore Bristol 400 series with vellum paper.  That piece had a very smooth texture so, I decided to try that out.  I have it on order now and look forward to playing with it when it arrives.   I think it's a matter of taste what type of paper you like using but it's worth experimenting with it so I learn how different mediums react to different papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment