Monday, July 6, 2015

Assembling the quilt "sandwich"

I completed assembling the quilt sandwich which includes the quilt backing, the middle batting and the top pieced t-shirts.  For the batting, I'm using 100% cotton.  I like to use the warmer type but, still fairly thin. (It cost $27.00 at JoAnnes but wait until it goes on sale or use your coupon.  I got it on sale for 50% off and then I had an additional 20% off coupon).   If I get batting that is too fat, it's almost impossible to get it under the arm of my sewing machine.  The backing is all the same and is 100% cotton material for quilters.  It took about 4 3/4 yards to piece together the backing.  I make it slightly bigger than the top to allow for some potential shifting during the quilting process.  Some sites recommend as much as 6 inches extra on all sides but, I found that to be excessive and wasteful.  I usually do about 2 inches, more or less.

A number of years ago, I switched from pinning my layers together to spraying them with temporary quilting adhesive.  This product is made especially for that purpose.  I use the JoAnnes brand.  There is one that is more expensive but, I have always been very pleased with the JoAnnes version.  There are a few tricks that I learned along the way though

1)  You will generally need almost a full can to do a lap size quilt (a little smaller than a twin.  I would get 2 cans if you go larger than a twin.

2)  Spray in small sections!!!   If you try a spray a huge space at once, you will have a nightmare on your hands.  Spray about 24 square inches at a time.

3) Start in the middle of the quilt, spray the section then smooth the layers with your hands.  Make sure you have no bumps and wrinkles.  Once it is smooth, move onto the next section.

4) Spray the batting and either the top layer or the bottom layer.  If you start with the top layer, complete the whole thing and then flip it and do the bottom layer.  Do not attempt to spray both layers at the same time.

The spraying process takes a little time but is well worth it.  The layers stay in place while sewing and the adhesive will be washed out at the end once you complete the quilt and do the final washing.

Process of spraying at smoothing.  The bumps you see at the end will eventually be smoothed out when that section is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment